John Kerry laid out six points he believes any future Israeli/Arab peace plan must be based on. Most of them are not new to American policy, but two are and if they are adopted by a follow up UNSC Resolution will constitute a division of Jerusalem. Everyone knows these points mean that Jews who have lived continuously in Jerusalem for thousands of years would be expelled.
The six are:
1. Provide for secure and recognized international borders between Israel and a viable and contiguous Palestine, negotiated based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed equivalent swaps.
2. Fulfill the vision of UN General Assembly Resolution 181 of two states for two peoples, one Jewish and one Arab, with mutual recognition and full equal rights for all their respective citizens.
3. Provide for a just, agreed, fair and realistic solution to the Palestinian refugee issue, with international assistance, that includes compensation, options and assistance in finding permanent homes, acknowledgment of suffering and other measures necessary for a comprehensive resolution consistent with two states for two peoples.
4. Provide an agreed resolution for Jerusalem as the internationally recognized capital of the two states, and protect and assure freedom of access to the holy sites consistent with the established status quo.
5. Satisfy Israel’s security needs and bring a full end to the occupation, while ensuring that Israel can defend itself effectively and that Palestine can provide security for its people in a sovereign and non-militarized state.
6. End the conflict and all outstanding claims, enabling normalized relations and enhanced regional security for all as envisaged by the Arab Peace Initiative.
What John Kerry and Barack Obama have done has gone against the the very international agreements the USA has signed onto when they started the “peace process.” All American governments have always followed the idea that none of the issues would be resolved outside of face to face negotiations and no outside power could dictate these to the parties.
With Kerry reopening the way peace is handled, the incoming Trump administration and Israel should be able to reopen the entire “peace process” including trashing it completely.
What to Expect in the Waning Days of the Obama Administration
Expect the International Community to Submit Another Resolution to the UNSC based on these points and perhaps include even more specifics. Also do not be surprised if Obama abstains once again right before he leaves.[huge_it_share]